Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Seeing Diane again....

Tonight we did a Crossfit workout known as "Diane", which is 21 225lb deadlifts, then 21 handstand pushups, then 15 225 lb deadlifts and then 15 hand-stand pushups, and then finally 9 225lb deadlifts and 9 handstand pushups. (So a total of 21+15+9=45 225lb deadlifts and 45 handstand pushups.) This is the first time I saw "Diane" in well over a year. I think our box did it 4 times since I last did "Diane", and each time I happened to be out.

I really wanted to see how I would do on "Diane". For a couple of reasons. The first reason is that I wanted to see how far I've come. Last time I tried that workout, I got killed. Took me close to the 30-minute time cutoff. And I didn't even have the full 225lb bar for the deadlifts, I scaled down to 185. And I didn't even do all 45 handstand pushups. The first 21 I did using an ab-mat (instead of my head touching the ground it touches the ab-mat, which reduces the range of motion of the handstand pushup by a couple of inches and so it makes it significantly easier). And I subbed in dumbell presses for the remaining 24 handstand pushups. The second reason is that I have a lot of stress going on with my family. (I will talk about that more later.) Crossfit Annapolis is sort of a sanctuary of sorts for me.

So I tell myself that I am going to do "Diane" Rx, which means that I will do 45 225lb deadlifts (instead of 45 deadlifts at a lighter weight or fewer than 45 deadlifts), and that I will do 45 hand-stand pushups where my head hits the ground (as opposed to subbing in handstand pushups using a mat or dumbell presses). It's my goal for the night.

Anyway, we hear the "3-2-1-GO!" from Erin, our coach. I start the 21 225lb deadlifts. I feel strong. I bang out the first 14 deadlifts TNG, holding it just long enough on the ground so the barbell doesn't have a bounce to help it back up, which would have been cheating. ("TNG" stands for "touch-n-go". When the weight hits the ground, you start the next rep in the next instant as opposed to resting for a moment first.) Then I walk to the chalk bucket and back, and do 7 more deadlifts. Doing the deadlifts should be no problem.

Then I do the handstand pushups. I knew these would be much harder for me. I really wanted to finish the workout Rx though. I really wanted to get out all 45 handstand pushups. To be able to do this, my strategy was to conserve my strength as much as I could early on. I wouldn't go for too many HSPUs at once at this point. Anyway, I do 5 HSPUs and then walk to the chalk bucket and back. Then 5 more HSPUs. Then 5 more. Then 3 more, and then 3 more after that, which is 21 HSPUs total. Now it is time to do 15 deadlifts.

I do a set of 7 TNG deadlifts (I like the number "7") and then 4 TNGs, and then 4 more TNGs, giving me 15. Now it is time to do 15 handstand pushups.

Now I am starting to feel tired. I try to do these next 15 HSPUs 3 at a time. I somehow make it, but now my arms are smoked. So much for conserving my strength. I am looking forward to doing the last 9 deadlifts. I do those fairly quickly, and now it is time to do the last 9 more HSPUs and then I am done.

My arms are really tired even starting the last 9 HSPUs, and I was out of breath from those deadlifts. But I was going to do everything in my power to do these 9 HSPUs without a mat. Anyway, I go to the wall and get 2. I walk around and get 2 more. I hear Erin yelling at me to get back on the wall and finish the remaining 5. I get just 1 this time. I rest, and get 1 more. Now there are only 3 left. I walk to the chalk bucket (even though I really don't need chalk, I guess walking to the chalk bucket is a self-comforting mechanism of mine or something), and then go back to the wall. I get 1 more HSPU. Now there are 2 left! I go back to the wall, and... I grunt and push and finally get up there for the first of the remaining two. Now I'm hoping I can do this just one more time, and then I will be done. I shake my arms out, and go for the last. Wow! This one took a good 5 seconds for me to get up. But I finished "Diane". And I finished it Rx.

A very nice icing on the cake was getting to savor that, by exchanging hive-fives with the others after that. It was inspiring seeing how hard everyone pushed themselves and now it is time for all of us to congratulate each other. Moments like these keep me coming back to CFA. Also, if you really want to keep yourself young, push yourself physically with a bunch of 20-something year-olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment