Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I rock (back squats and dead-hang muscle-ups)

I thought today's workout was going to suck for me. We did back squats (3-5 reps)x5 sets. I love back squats as much as the next guy, but I was flaring for the last few days (see my previous post on ulcerative colitis). I was also down on sleep. I also did about 50 135-pound power-cleans yesterday (a moderate weight for me) on top of kettlebell swings and box jumps, so my hamstrings were tired.

My weight was off for my back squat by about 10% of my usual. I did 205 pounds for 5 reps ATG (ATG means ass-to-grass, where the but goes down really deep in the squat) once, and then 225 pounds for 2 reps ATG. I felt somewhat weak and I was even listing to one side during both sets. That sucked, but it was better than I expected.

I think I turned a corner with my muscle-ups though. I did them between my sets of back squats. For my first set, I jump up, grab the rings (still false grip for me) and did a set of 4, strict. I don't think I ever got 4 in a row even kipped. Anyway, I enjoyed my newfound superpowers and ended up doing something like 20 strict muscle-ups, total, for the class. It could mean that my abilities in that regard took a real jump up or that I just lost enough weight during the flare-up to make bodyweight exercises easier for me. It's ok, I'm still happy with that...

2 comments:

  1. Great start to an interesting blog Mike. I like reading what you have to say on life, love, and the pursuit of happiness. Especially the "interview mode" blog.

    I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jennifer! Thank you for stopping by....

    ReplyDelete