Saturday, March 31, 2012

You (usually) get what you deserve...

I'll admit it.... I am an incredibly competitive person. I don't let on, but I hate doing badly in things.

I will also admit that no matter what workouts they picked for the Open, I wouldn't have done much better. No matter how much I griped about them putting Karen in 11.4. I wouldn't have done much worse either. I got a fair shake. There's no "if-only"'s for me, because there was no way I could have done much better.

This was clear this week at the box. One met-con was a heavy one--AMRAP in 8 minutes, where a round is 6 155-pound push-jerks (no rack) and then 3 rope climbs. I got through a couple of rounds, but those push-jerks were heavy to me. To a lot of people, they were not. As I am writing this, I'm thinking of a quote by I believe Jim Rohn (which I might be paraphrasing): "Don't wish things were easier, wish you were stronger".

Anyway, I have a long list of things I need to do for next year.

Today we did an 8 minute AMRAP of 3 135-pound snatches and 5 muscle-ups. I insisted on doing my muscle-ups strict and got through almost 3 rounds, but even this I need to get stronger. My snatches were OK according to CrossFit standards, but there was pressing out. I want them clean.

This is by and large true in every area of my life. What I've done well in, I had talent and I also worked very hard in. What I haven't, I did not. Of the relationships I was in and whatever position I held, things didn't work out because they couldn't. It wasn't any one thing someone said or did, it was basic incompatibility. Yes, some of the above things might have turned out differently if I had been more mature or wiser, but I just wasn't there yet.

Realizing how much we are in control of our destiny and how much we get what we really deserve, it's a liberating thought. Yes, life does come down to seizing moments, but if you are ready, you will seize enough of those moments and make the most of them. It comes down to one missed opportunity less than we tend to think it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment