Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Open and getting on it...

I still snicker whenever I say I did some heavy snatches. But I am going to use versions of that phrase a lot this post...

My performance in Workout 12.2 can be summed up in one number: 41. As in, I did 41 reps; 30 snatches at 75 pounds, and then 11 snatches at 135 pounds, in 10 minutes. [Background: Workout 12.2 was a snatch ladder. First do as many 75-pound snatches as you can, up to 30, in 10 minutes, and then if you get 30 75-pound snatches, then do as many 135-pound snatches, up to 30, at 135 pounds in the remaining time, and then if you get 30 135-pound snatches, do as many 165-pound snatches as you can, up to 30, in the remaining time, and then finally, if you get 30 165-pound snatches (!), do as many 210-pound snatches as you can in the remaining time. So do as many snatches as you can in 10 minutes, the first 30 done at 75 pounds, the next 30 at 135 pounds, the next 30 after that done at 165 pounds, and all the others after that done at 210 pounds.] I didn't set any records. I aint going to Regionals. But I am happy with how things went.

See 135 pounds is 80% of my body weight for one thing. I also set out to do what I intended: Get into the 40s.

The Open was one of the smartest concepts to come out of CrossFit. The idea of involving into competition everyone who wants to get involved was genius. It really increases the motivation of well, basically the entire community. Wait.... open athletic competitions aren't a new concept by any means... Aren't many triathlons and marathons open competitions? They are, but what if you find running or "long cardio" boring? What about recreational soccer/baseball/basketball leagues? Well, maybe, but do you ever get to start the season knowing that LeBron James is playing in in the very same league you are, and that if you happen to do good enough, that you'll be able to go up against LeBron James head-to-head yourself? And to "do good enough", you won't have to compete against your teammates or lobby for them to give you the ball more. The weight doesn't care who you are. And what's more, you can track "how good you can do" in your workouts throughout the year. You can set concrete goals, and check to see how you are achieving them. There is a clear path to "doing better". You might not ever be as good as Richard Froning in CrossFit, but there is still a clear and well-lit path to your "doing better" than you have been doing.

There's something about this that just lights a fire underneath you. And makes you want to keep getting on it. At least it has for me anyway.

Take today. I got 41 reps. Not a great score, but still decent, and in a movement that I've spent little time on. I know that if I were to work on my snatch [I still snicker every time I say that phrase too] as diligently as I worked on my muscle-up this past year, I would do much *much* better on Workout 12.2 if it ever were to come up again. A year ago I had NO muscle-up. Even after I got one I still sucked at them for a good 5 months after. And then it came together for me, and now I can bust out several of them strict in a set. Diligence and effort can make up for average talent, especially in CrossFit. Now surely a workout like 12.2 will not come up again, but surely heavy snatches will come up again. And in the meanwhile, there is a lot of carry-over. It's hard to imagine being strong in one lift and totally sucking in another that's anything like it.

And working on my lifts is what I plan to do. There is something about the snatch that is so appealing--done right it is such a beautiful lift. It's technical but the technical is what makes it great. Coordinate the different muscles in your body right and you'll quickly get a heavy weight overhead in one elegant motion.

In general, I really feel that if I were to work hard on certain things, next year I could do much better. And it is an adrenaline rush. Right now I am so amped. I want to deadlift an Excursion. Even though I did a lot today [I stayed after and worked on muscle-ups] I am motivated to go in tomorrow. [At least now that is. We'll see how I actually feel tomorrow morning and whether DOMS kicks in.] I'm hoping tomorrow is a crazy smoker with wall-balls, rowing, and maybe some double-unders.

I have never felt this way after a typical Saturday morning class.... as great as they are.

I'm even considering giving up my cherry-picking ways for good and embrace the long cardio-style workouts. Considering. I might be amped up, but I'm not crazy or anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment