Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Keep pushing forward....

Yesterday was a fun day at the box. Did front squats and did 1 set of 155X5 and 2 sets of 185X3. In between did a bunch of muscle-ups.

Then we did a smoker of 3 sets AMRAP 1.5pood kettlebells and 15 wall balls, with 1 minute rest between sets.

I am an intense person. When one area of my life isn't going well, I have a tendency to obsess about it until it gets fixed. I even see this in my working out. When I was struggling with muscle-ups earlier this year, that was all I did. It got to the point where I had all sorts of aches in my forearms and I even felt them spasm from time to time. And if I ever want to do a competition for Crossfit, there are definitely other things that I need to work on! I still couldn't stay off those damn rings though. I'm a lot like the character Ahab in Moby Dick, not so much that I am a vengeful person. (I do get mad, yell, and scream, and sometimes throw things, but don't worry--that's only if I am in rubber room. But I also move on and forgive.) And I definitely have nothing against any animal, but that I am prone to tunnel vision.

I DID improve my muscle-ups, but it was only after going on vacation to visit a friend in the end of September. I took the entire week off from working out. (And I actually started the writing for this blog.) And as you would have guessed, the spasms and aches went away. I made a quantum leap when I made it back to the box.

Anyway, I have let myself get tunnel vision. I've done this in my career. My relationships. And it has caused me to make some really bad decisions. I wasted energy on projects that weren't worth it. I've wasted energy on the wrong people, when I would have ended up far happier far sooner had I moved on.

As I've gotten older, I've gotten a lot better at triaging my efforts. Put them where they will do the most good. I am aware of my tendencies and at least now I am able to reign that in--usually. The next month is going to be crazy at work. I need to be putting my focus there. BUT I will do all I can to get to the box a couple times a week. I'm not thinking so much about improving but about maintaining. And in the meanwhile, thinking about what is truly important to me. I've had the pleasure of getting to meet a couple of people who ARE passionate about something, who DO have a cause that serves others too, and to be honest, I both admire them for that, and I envy the hell out of them for that too. I want to find something like that for myself. I have it in me to feel that way about something, and as I do not yet, I feel a void. I have a few things that sort of come close--Crossfit, science, and writing, but nothing that encompasses all.

This blog is definitely a start for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Michael -

    "I Have a few things that sort of come close...."

    Do you have specific goals you are working towards? Especially with respect to CrossFit and fitness in general?

    For me, I find my passion when I connect my own interests and goals and link them to what other people are doing (and figuring out how I can help them if possible).

    Take care,

    ...Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tim,

    I do indeed have specific goals, especially with regards to Crossfit.

    And I absolutely agree with you about linking your interests to the service of other people. Meanwhile, I am doing some soul-searching as to what the "how" for me will look like.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bet!

    You will definitely find your way - being introspective is a great start.

    ReplyDelete