Saturday, November 5, 2011

Euro-Pop versus Axl Rose

First of all, I have to admit. I didn't come to today's metcon at my box this morning. Instead I came to my box an hour early to lift (overhead squats and deadlifts). After I warm up for the overhead squats with the bar, and then 95 pounds, I do 20 "heavy" reps of overhead squats (Today, it was two sets at 135 pounds and then the rest at 155 pounds). Usually when I do something like this my first "heaviest" set, e.g., today the set at 155, is my strongest.

Anyway, I go to my first set at 155 and even though I usually don't pay too much mind to the music playing (I actually prefer working out to silence which is fairly unusual), I couldn't help notice how some Euro-Pop is playing "...every time I see you falling, I get down on my knees to pray..." and this set was a total fail. I go down deep into the hole for the first rep and get up, but I felt a little shaky. The second rep was too much like the first. I lower the weight back on my rear shoulders and rack it. I'm thinking that this session isn't going to be that good.

Anyway, a few minutes later, I go to start another set and this time, some Guns N' Roses is playing "I'm a cruel heartbreaker, fit to burn, and I'll rip your heart in two..." and this set was awesome! I got 5 solid reps, all ATG, all smooth and steady and solid, no shakiness.

There is a moral to this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment